AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Youth tackle football
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IowaCenturyFarm
Posted 3/25/2024 08:41 (#10679213 - in reply to #10678862)
Subject: RE: Youth tackle football

I think it's pretty telling that the kids whose dads played in college stick with flag football, but the kids whose dads never saw the field in high school are all gung ho about tackle football at age 8. I know there are some very fine coaches at the youth level. I've also seen some absolute dipsticks put in charge of a team. The people running the youth program in my town can barely manage to shower on a daily basis, so I didn't feel like my son was going to learn anything I wanted him to learn with them in charge.

I played in college and was shocked by how little I really knew about the game coming out of high school - and I played on a good high school team with great coaches. The game is so dumbed down at the youth level, any advantage that might be gained in 7th and 8th grade can be easily and quickly overcome in my opinion. Plus I didn't want my son getting pigeonholed into playing a certain position his whole career just because he already played it for two years based only on the fact he was a little heavier than some other kids at a younger age.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)