AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well just as stir the pot, mandatory animal I D.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

turbo diesal
Posted 1/19/2024 15:20 (#10582682 - in reply to #10582207)
Subject: RE: Well just as stir the pot, mandatory animal I D.

Sidneyfarmer - 1/19/2024 10:48

r82230 - 1/19/2024 10:05

HERE the tags are required (TB, baiting deer problem for years). I used to put them in newborn calves for ease of catching. By the time they head down the road at ~600# most of them are missing, so I get to spend a couple of bucks putting another one in. So now, that's the last thing that's done before hitting the road. Even the 4H calves seem to lose them, and they have to have one at every show they attend.

Yep, I'm just like you, used to put them in at birth, put them in now just before they go on the trailer. About a third had to be run back through to re tag anyway, so might as well save a few bucks and do them all. Of course anything going for private slaughter doesn't need them.

For the give me liberty crowd, they've been mandatory in Michigan for well over a decade now. No big deal. It's just what we do. If a buyer wants our cattle because they're easier to verify, good. We'll take that and you can go on your merry way. They're $2 each. We all get them through the Holstein Association so the antis can't use freedom of information to get any of our private information. The state set it up with the Holstein Assn on purpose that way.

There's no end of conspiracy theory "what ifs" out there dampening enthusiasm for it, but here in Michigan, we have facts and experience on our side and I'm telling you, it's no different than putting any other tag in them. I suppose if you want to age verify, there'd be some additional record keeping, but all the general commercial market and government officials who trace disease want is that EID tag so they know where it came from with the swipe of a scanner.

Last time talk radio got it stuck in their craw, one of the local conspiracy nuts started in on it like he thought I was going to agree with him 100%. It cut him right off at the knees when I didn't. He said "The government can't even keep track of millions of illegal aliens, how are they going to keep track of all the cattle?", I said let us farmers and ranchers own the illegals and we'll keep track of them. That shut him up.

Your line of thinking is completely wrong. Mocking people that speculate on conspiracy theories that turn out to be untrue doesn't change the reality that the bureaucrats and multinational corporations that push these rules have there best interest in mind not the farmer. Period They will only help us if it benefits them.

It is human nature that when 2 groups of people with diametrically apposed self interest come in conflict they will be suspicious and have a hostile attitude towards each other. Multiply this dynamic x millions of people and one group has nearly all the political power, money is well organized and gets to meet in secret then of course there will be rampant speculation. What is not speculation is that those with the upper hand will do what ever is deemed best for themselves to the fullest extent they are able with no consideration for the other.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)