AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pork producers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 1/13/2008 13:40 (#282183 - in reply to #282151)
Subject: Rich

Assuming you're talking about hogs "If a guy seen what some of these super huge finish houses finishing rations were made of and seen how much corn they do lack we might understand more about the taste."

Please tell me how much corn the rations lack.

Our rations from 60 lbs to 280 lbs average over 83% corn. How much more corn would you like fed.

I won't argue that hogs are too lean right now, but it's not because they don't get corn. It's mostly due to genetics and the use of "Paylean".

If the pork industry wanted to do itself a favor it should ban ractopamine hydrochloride (the active ingredient in Paylean).

It would take a lot of product off of the market, raising prices and it would lower the average % lean. Also their are export markets that simply don't want the stuff at any price.

That being said we do use the stuff because of the way the current price structure in the hog market pays us to use it.

I would totally support ending use of it -- If everyone else did the same. Preferably end use of it within the industry not through a govt ban.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)