AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef Checkoff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 12/29/2007 09:59 (#270328 - in reply to #270211)
Subject: RE: Rich, lets hear some new ideas

Kansas
This checkoff is a deaf, mute, blind, quadrapalegic in need of a mercy killing.

I do not have to have an answer to be completely against a crooked organization.

I find this humorous as hell that most of everyone on here in support of the checkoff seem to think that we absolutely have to advertise to make people eat beef. Oh, I'm sure, after listening to the ad to eat beef every day at 5 pm getting off work by the 3rd week a few of the folks might swing by the store and grab the highest priced steaks on the rack to take home and grill instead of warming up thier hamburger helper but the truth remains. If people have money in a good economy they will eat beef. If they are poor and things are tight, thier sucking down Ramen noodles. Ain't hardly a college kid that hasn't made a meal out of them.

I also find it humorous that everyone keeps referring back to the flat iron steaks. How many years has this stupid wallet robbing organization been going on and this is thier greatest fame to name? I vaguely remember getting that shiny card in the mail to tell me about it when it happened. I don't remember UNL getting much if any credit on it. To hear beef checkoff tell the story they were the brainchild, incubator, and nursemaid to it's start of life. Let's see some real progress we can brag about fellas if you want to be so proud of this mickey mouse bunch. Take the short ribs, the soup bone, the boiling beef, Hell.......Take the tail and tongue or liver and heart and learn to turn it into something that people will desire. Introduce it as a delicacy. Those pointy nose high falutin idiots in hollywood think eating fish eggs gives them some sort of superiority status. Get the ad's to push the crap ends of the beef or get some culinary arts school or meats program to redesign the cuts or make new recipes that absolutely explode the taste buds and utilize that lower quality cuts to make it more appealing and marketable to the public. So far, they took an area that was roast and made it into steak. Roast isn't exactly hard to market.

Why are we not seeing the efficiency rating of a carcass weight percentage rise in all this time with all this so called backing? It is now, and has been for years, that a carcass will weigh on avg 60 percent of a live weight. Where is the R and R to improve on that? Don't tell me we can't. We didn't think we could see cars make 60 miles a gallon and we saw rice grinders in the 80's do that.

YOu have a at your disposal now a half assed group that is pillaging the american cattlemans wallet every time that bovine is used in a trading of hands transaction to fill thier pockets. They toss a few bucks into a meats program, make a new cut of steak from a roast and scream look at us look at us. First big jump to make news in 20 years. They place a few ads. Then they shovel and plug the rest of the money into thier wallets and tell you guys what good boys you are for playing the game and keep up the work.

Let the consumer pay. Let the processors pay. You guys that have no sentimental ties to your benjamins or washingtons go right on ahead and pay. I don't have any concrete answers making a solution to where you think there lies a problem Russ. I dont' see a problem that even needs this so called solution. I do see a problem with the status quo though and as much money as I have dolled out over the years, I've yet to see a return in prices that can be associated to thier checkoff as a direct result. We've been in a growing economy for some time. University of Nebraska and the University of Florida (ya forgot to give them credit Dean) would of came across this flat iron steak on thier own in due time. They are discovering colleges and they have to have something to do in meats lab besides run ecoli tests and make the same cuts day after day after day.

When the economy tanks and beef prices fall on thier face. I'm going to revive this subject to you and Dean. If the economy tanks and beef prices stay high, I will shut my trap and go along with your belief. At this point though, checkoff is cashing in on a growing economy and filling your head with sugar plum dreams of thier ads being the direct result. Bull$hit my friend......Bull$hit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)