AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef Checkoff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/29/2007 00:56 (#270211 - in reply to #268876)
Subject: RE: Rich, lets hear some new ideas

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
The thought I went thru you're posts here and I haven't seen any new ideas for promotion of our product. I know you have a hard on for the check-off, but you need to come up with some new ideas. I'm not saying there hasn't been problems with the check-off, but it has worked. The problem is a dollar today doesn't do today what it did in the late eighties. Advertising costs have went up, just like the cost of fuel, etc. How many people watch tv today just with a set of old rabbit ears? It cost a lot of money to advertise, everything is cable or sat. tv.

I just was going thru the mail tonight, and was looking at my Newsweek mag. there in the middle of it was a dairy-milk ad. I know that wasn't a cheap ad. But people need to be reminded daily to buy our products. Once removed from the farm, people forget where the best bang for their dollar is for food. You need to instill it every day. After thing about this disscusion about advertising, I went thru my milk check stubs, and I'm roughly paying about 50 dollars a cow a year for promotion, advertising. I feel it is well worth it, if I had to double that to keep, my milk prices up, I will do it.

I've looked and listened at the figures on the work muslce, tissue work for new products like the flat iron steak, it works. You have got to have a system that everybody pays into, not just if you feel like it. I was told today that some other countries are paying five times what we are for promotion of the product for export markets. We have got to increase our exports to raise demand. Like I said before its not the perfect system, but you have to keep working at it to make it better. I'm sure someone is getting filthy rich off it, but are you just going to quit it all, just because there is some problems.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 12/29/2007 01:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)