AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef Checkoff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/27/2007 04:33 (#268882 - in reply to #268876)
Subject: RE: Beef Checkoff

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Well Rich, I think we do need to raise more dollars for promotion of our products. Just look at what Dairy promotion has done for dairy prices. The problem I see is for every dollar more you take in, they want a % of that extra dollar to go to adminstration of programs. The programs are in place, they just need more to fund them for more outreach to the public.

I'm on the board of Dir. for the state of Idaho cattlemen http://www.idahocattle.org/about.dsp#DIRECTORS. And belive me it is a heated topic! If the cattlemen or all of agriculture would band together, you could demand your prices you need and want. But it will never happen, because everyone is SO DAMM independant. Argiculture and the trucking industry could shut this country down in a week or two if we banded together. That is the reason inependants have been able to stay in business, they scrimp and save to stay in business. And the middleman thrives on it, and is making a killing on us.

You've heard the saying; It takes money to make money! Well we have to promote our products, way of life, everything we do good for the enviroment each and everyday. People have a short term memory, and you have to keep reminding everyday. Does Walmart, MickyDee's, Sears, JcPenny's quit advertising? Just take a look at John Deere for heavens sake they are now marketing to kids clothing, to kids that have never driven a tractor, or mucked a calf pen! We need to sell our product, who is going to do it for us?

After reading your posts over the years here, I realize you are very passionate about farming, agriculture, family. I would challenge you to get on county, state cattlemen boards to help get your point across, and offer some good sound advice, not just argue. Help come up with a solution. I tell people that bitch here about Idaho Cattlemen, you can't bitch at us, until you pay your membership fee, then fire away at me and the other's on the board! I'm not in it, for the pay! I don't make a damm thing, I'm trying to do my part in helping the industry. In fact it has cost me a lot of family time as well as money to be on various committees and boards(I'm down to three right now). At one time I was on over six. It was just too much. I have to say I couldn't have ever done it with out the help of my family nor my wife. But without them there was no reason to fight for our industry.

I would like to hear your thought's on the checkoff problem, solutions?

Edited by Russ In Idaho 12/27/2007 04:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)