AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leica mojoRTK - Reality Check
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

AgMan
Posted 11/29/2007 22:04 (#249187 - in reply to #248800)
Subject: Re: Leica mojoRTK - Reality Check

Earth
John,

I took a quick look on the Trimble web site at the specs for AutoPilot + I looked over the data you attached to your sheet & I can't see anywhere that Trimble claimed sub-inch RTK accuracy. I do see where Trimble claims 10mm accuracy for the 214 receiver in the AutoPilot specs - but it doesn't state whether this is static or kinematic. On the sheet attached to your post, I don't see anywhere that Trimble claims any better accuracy than Leica or most of the other receivers. So are you saying that *all* GPS manufacturers make dubious claims about accuracy - Leica included?

The other factor that you seem to be forgetting about is the steering controls algorithms. It's all very well to be able to send "left" & "right" steering commands to a steering controller, but the real test is in how well your controls algos work - because at the end of the day, all the controller does is what the display tells it. So a more accurate comparison between MojoRTK with EZ-Steer & another display with EZ-Steer would be to stick them side by side in a field & see how well they hold a guidance line, right? Of course, to be a fair comparison you'd need RTK on whichever non-Leica display is driving the EZ-Steer - so to be as close to an "apples to apples" comparison as possible, it'd have to be an EZ-Guide 500 with RTK. I'm sure there'd be a lot of people on this forum interested in the results of that comparison.

Then again - how many people really need RTK with their non-hydraulic steering solution? I'd guess that the vast majority of farmers who use products like EZ-Steer, or JD's ATU or the Autofarm OnTrac don't need (or desire) RTK accuracy as these types of farmers are not typically involved in rowcrop operations. There might be a few who strip-till, but from what I've heard, they can generally get the accuracy they need from HP or XP. If this is the case, then it actually makes MojoRTK quite an expensive option when compared to EZ-Guide+ or non-RTK EZ-Guide 500.

Anyway - I'm sure we've all bored the other forum members with our incessant raving about this vs that, so I for one am going to move on to things that I have some control over & let the market decide the ones that I don't. It's been interesting...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)