AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leica mojoRTK - Reality Check
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 11/13/2007 08:28 (#236968 - in reply to #236842)
Subject: It's how the 2 systems are marketed that makes the difference

With trimble equipment it seems to be marketed for middlemen - around here dealers have setup rtk base stations for guys to subscribe to ($3000 the 1st year, $1500 future years) plus they sell about $13K (at least) worth of hardware to receive the signal and setup the tractor/combine. In many cases I'm sure this middleman approach gets rtk on farms that might otherwise stay away due to the complexity of the technology. The middleman boils it down to - right me a check and I'll show you which buttons to press. The downside being the cost of the added markup on the hardware (that $30K has to pay lots of folks) and the cost of service calls.

On the other hand, Leica is marketing directly to the farmer at what appears to be a very attractive price. It means I have to read instructions and figure out how to use it on my farm. Personally, this fits me much better than the other sales model since some technology salesman only bother to know enough to sell the product and I find myself having to educate myself anyway (so the value of the middleman is occasionally diminished). If we can figure out how to have an extra $10K around this spring, we might make the jump to rtk (we have an ez steer/T2 now).

My 2 cents,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)