AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leica mojoRTK - Reality Check
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 11/17/2007 10:41 (#239830 - in reply to #235650)
Subject: 10% of the hardware's capability

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Actually, I think the capability of the hardware is being utilized 100%. All the hardware end needs to do is to drive the machine in a line from point A to point B. Whether it is capable of driving a line from the Tropic of Cancer to the Tropic of Capricorn and staying within an inch of target or whether that line is a one foot segment of a sweeping curve along the border of an irregular field, the hardware only needs to keep the tolerance of the line that the console feeds it. Evidently, even MOJO thinks the cheapo EZ-Steer system is good enough hardware to guide the tractor.

What really determines usefulness and usability of a system is the firmware in the box that tells the hardware which way to point the tractor at any given moment. If the firmware is crappy, then it does little good to be able to drive that straight line from tropic to tropic if you need to go to ridiculous lengths every time you want to set up an A-B. All this talk of "We're listening to requests", "This feature is coming", "Stay tuned" and finally "This is a new paradigm" is hardly original. Computer software companies used to say the same things when they rushed a buggy product to market. I didn't find it charming then and don't find it charming now. I kinda like to see what something IS doing now, not what it MAY be capable of in the future. Folks, promises of things to come instead of what is here now is called "Vaporware".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)