AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leica mojoRTK - Reality Check
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

djohnhill
Posted 11/29/2007 13:28 (#248800 - in reply to #248210)
Subject: Re: Leica mojoRTK - Reality Check

Australia
Colin,

Sorry for getting your employer and role incorrect. I do believe you maintain a business interest in Ag technology though, as you are definitely not a farmer, and your interest in this forum must be motivated by something? I think to bury the hatchet on this thread you need to declare your interest as I have done.

While we don't use Novatel positioning, I think it can be said that the past is not always a good indicator of the future. If this were the case the stock market would be too easy. The Novatel positioning algorithms are very different now than they were 5 years ago; so while I can concur with your past feelings, I can't agree now. I could point out (privately) a number of dealers who use Novatel dual frequency RTK who now swear by it. Certainly their L1 and SBAS stuff has been pretty good historically.

Please also note that all major GPS vendors have their specs independently verified (see attachment) and surveyors would crucify companies who quote incorrect specs. Trimble, Deere/Navcom et al do publish proper specs for all their survey products of course but don't for ag. The fact is we are all pretty much the same apart from baseline operating range which Leica seems to outperform most other vendors. XYZ accuracy for DualFreq RTK is a given these days and the positioning algorithms are mostly the same in survey and ag products due to patent concerns. The rest is marketing hype. I am sure if trimble did publish their new ag positioning specs in the survey format, the XYZ would be similar to Leica's. If they leave their old product specs up then they should expect competitors to compare to them.

As DarrenH points out (he is Leica) we do use dual frequency RTK in the mojoRTK and it is basically the same algorithm we use in survey. But note how we are not claiming sub-inch. We are trying to be conservative because we know that none of the receivers currently in the ag market including Trimble, perform at sub-inch accuracy beyond a few miles. This is a fact and not hype. How can a autosteer system that uses a receiver not capable of sub-inch positioning beyond a few miles claim to position the tractor to sub-inch accuracy out to 12 miles? Short answer is that they can't. Physics doesn't work that way. You would have to post process to get sub-inch and that is a bit hard on a moving tractor.

Again, this forum is for facts and openness. If any of my statements are incorrect I will retract them.

Thanks for keeping the thread civil and you have posed very valid questions that farmers need to be clear on.

Cheers

John

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RTK Receiver Survey 100k no fonts (highlited).pdf (97KB - 846 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)