AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leica mojoRTK - Reality Check
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 11/10/2007 23:04 (#235543 - in reply to #234781)
Subject: It's the UI that discourages me

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Here's one of my more interesting fields to lay out with an auto-steer:

Field Map

The field is farmed as all one chunk. The blue borders are physical field edges; dictated by roads, fencelines, ditch-banks, and tree lines. The red edges are boundaries with my neighbor. We have a decent relationship so the only thing that marks our mutual boundaries are small pegs at the corners we share. When striking the line, I like to try and be fair, so a nice straight line from peg to peg, with no bows makes for a continued good relationship and no need for a strip of grass or a fence that would harbor weeds. Since this place was one of the earliest surveyed in our state, the surveyers came close, but were off just a smidge -- .13° to be exact. The north border of this field is a road and fenceline on the edge of the ditch. The road is off by 1.47° from due east. Although the tract is farmed as a solid block, I left the 40 acre borders on the map as thin black lines to give a sense of scale to my map. Additionally, the dark blue lines that have some diagonal to them are only an approximation of the edges of the field. In reality, they are more of a sweeping curve but I just approximated them to show the borders.

I typically enter this tract at the NW corner marked A+1. I setup an A+ line for 91.47°, swing around and start eastward until my tool is on the field edge. I then set the A point and engage the EZ-Steer which drives until I reach the NE corner. I turn around at this point and return on the next pass of my first A+ line. I now have the North headland seeded. I then proceed to drive manually along the curve from A+1 to the first north border of the neighbor's field. Here I am forced to raise the tool out of the ground and deadhead to A+3, I set my next A+ line at 270.13°, barely miss the corner peg, head westward, set the A point for the line and let EZ drive to the west edge, return on the newly set line and have the headland worked for that edge and a nice straight border. I then set up an A+ for 180.13°, swing around and head south at the A+2 point, just miss the peg, swing in just a bit and set the A point and let EZ drive all the way to the south tip of the field. I return on the new A+ line until I get to the A+7 edge, swing around and set up an A+ at 270.13°, work that edge and then the same procedure for the A+6 edge and the A+5 border, I return on the newly set lines until I get to my interrupted north first pass on the A+2 line. I recall that line and work the east half of the field -- all 1 1/4 miles of it. When that half is finished, I use the same A+ line to work the NW section of the field and leave the SW section for last. As you can probably see, the A+ line with the option to set it to a resolution of .01° saves a lot of deadheading to set up A_B lines at all the borders of this field. If you have to drive each edge to set the A-B and then have no way to recall any of the lines, I am frankly puzzled how a man could do it without a lot of unnecessary running around. And once you did that, what would happen if conditions changed or something happened to cause you to leave the field and go elsewhere to work where conditions were better. As I understand your system, If you came back, you would need to establish at least one more A-B by deadheading.

RTK accuracy would be nice, but if it comes at the price of needing to adjust my farming to how some engineer thinks I should do it, I don't consider that acceptable. Machines and software need to adapt to their users, not the other way around. I spent too much time in the past, around IBM minis and software, and their unyielding behavior to find that charming in this day and age.

How would you or your engineers suggest this tract be farmed with an auto-guide system that allowed only one A-B that could only be set by driving to the points?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)