AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So how many highly educated farmers are here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

afx_guy
Posted 12/28/2010 10:01 (#1510952 - in reply to #1510564)
Subject: RE: So how many highly educated farmers are here

outside looking for more corn cobs
martin - 12/27/2010 23:29

To be quite honest, I have mixed feelings about "getting that degree". 

..... the number of people who have degrees and are not better off financially because of it - mainly, because they cannot find jobs.

One factor I see there is the type of 'degree' that the people got, and the type of job/vocation that they are shooting for.

A history or english degree is useless if you are looking for a technical position, or a job that requires critical thinking skills and logical thought processes. But, those degrees would be useful if the person were applying for a teaching position.
Now, if that person has a history degree and is looking to drive a truck, it might help if the employer sees the degree as an indication that the applicant has the ability to focus over a long term to accomplish a goal. Or, the employer might see it as the applicant is just wanting to drive a truck until something better, and history related, comes along.
But, if the applicant has a degree in some sort of logistics management or something of that nature, the employer may take a second look at the applicant because they may be trying to learn the business from the ground and move up within the company.

I remember a radio ad several years ago about a guy that was 40 something and living with his mother because he couldn't find a job to use his degree. But, he had intentionally gotten his degree in something so specialized and narrow focused that there were a total of 4 positions in the world that used that degree.
To finish the ad, the mother found a job that required that degree and was singing Happy Days, while the son grumbled about the effectiveness of that particular newspaper/magazine.

To answer the initial question, I have my BSME.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)