AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So how many highly educated farmers are here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

martin
Posted 12/28/2010 00:29 (#1510564 - in reply to #1510524)
Subject: RE: So how many highly educated farmers are here

To be quite honest, I have mixed feelings about "getting that degree".  Personally, I have a college degree - a B.S. in Agronomy. And all my brothers and sister have degrees as well (not necessarily in Ag).  However, my niece and nephew do not.  I don't necessarily know that they are any worse off for not having a college degree.  I am increasingly concerned about the rising cost of a college education. It has always been "the mantra" that a college degree will pay for itself.  However, I was recently watching a segment on CNBC where they talked about the rising cost of a college degree, and the number of people who have degrees and are not better off financially because of it - mainly, because they cannot find jobs.

I would differentiate between "getting a degree" and getting an education.  Getting an education should be a lifelong process - and not necessarily in a formal classroom setting.  

When I was in college, I saw too many kids who were in college who did not know why they were there - unfortunately.  I saw peers who went on to get Masters degrees because they were not ready to out a get a real job.  To me, I thought that was sad. 
A college degree can be a good thing - but you need to know why you are in college, what you are pursuing, and what you want to do when you are done. If you don't know, don't spend time and money sitting in college trying to find out.
There are better ways to figure out what you want to do with your life.

Now, I'll get off my soapbox........

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)