AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bringing you son into the farm operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clubber83
Posted 12/28/2010 01:03 (#1510580 - in reply to #1510089)
Subject: Re: bringing you son into the farm operation?

Central Saskatchewan
Heres another opinion of a son who came back to the farm...

After my parents divorce when i was twelve I chose to stay with my dad on the farm. The farm life was what i wanted. I learnt allot of things from my dad when i was growing up about work ethic, management practices, etc. When I graduated from highschool, I knew I wanted to farm for a living but wasn't given the option without some sort of education. Went to college for mechanics for a year and then worked 5 more years inwhich i got my journeymans ticket. The knowledge I received from that 5 years is irreplaceable and very beneficial to our operation now. I learnt that "dads way" isn't the only way!

Now that I have been home on the farm for 3 years, I wish I had even more education. My mechanical knowledge is great but, there are way to many other things to know such as crop management, marketing, finances, etc. Everytime there is a seminar in our area, i go. I always ask dad if he wants to go too but he says he's done learning. His school was different than mine. His was the school of hard knocks.

I am currently taking a soil science course at home to try and better understand it.

My opinion is to get as much education as possible to better our operation and to make the transition process go much easier. Sure there were seminars and courses that I thought were a total waste of time then but now every bit of information is helpfull.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)