AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bringing you son into the farm operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 12/27/2010 22:57 (#1510405 - in reply to #1510361)
Subject: Re: bringing you son into the farm operation?

Amherst WI
Same here no offense, but your step son isn't going to like your son getting the "silver spoon" route into the farm while he is trying to get his own off the ground.

To your original question I would recomend he goes on to get some sort of further education. Either from a local community college or here......

http://fisc.cals.wisc.edu/

I went to the "here" route and I would highly recomend it. It gives you the meat and potates of farming without all the other fufu classes a four year degree would require you to get. When I went to FISC I thought I knew it all. Within the first few days I quickly realized I had no idea what I was doing. They also set it up so it is mid Nov to late March so it doesn't interfere with harvest and planting. For the most part they have great instructors, many I still keep in contact with.

I think it is good to have your son get away from home so he can see things differently and realize that even though that is the way we do it, this way might be better. You say he has a farm mind, so did I and when I was learning what I really cared about I did really well in school and got a lot out of it.

It would be about $7420 for the full 15 week course with books and housing included in that. I also met my wife here too, so include that as a bonus.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)