AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bringing you son into the farm operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Frustrated Farmer
Posted 12/28/2010 00:14 (#1510545 - in reply to #1510089)
Subject: RE: bringing you son into the farm operation?

Silver Lake, Kansas
As the son who came back into the farming operation, I might give you a few insights...

I did not particularly want to go to college, but I did not have an option. At the time I hated it, but looking back over the last 30 years, I kick myself for not taking advantage of some of the opportunities for education there.

I came home from school and started farming with Dad and his brothers. I watched what they did and how they interacted with each other and with me. I learned that was the only way to farm. I never worked away from the farm where I could see that there was more than one way to do anything. Once again kicking myself for not going out into the world.

A four year degree is not the answer for everyone. Several of the community colleges in Kansas have agriculture programs and I would guess that your son could find something in your area. Getting an education is a must.

I have seen several operations where the child went into farming with the parent right out of school. Some are success stories while others are not so good.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)