AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bringing you son into the farm operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FFJR
Posted 12/27/2010 22:55 (#1510401 - in reply to #1510319)
Subject: Re: bringing you son into the farm operation?

nc IA
Farming was my life also, in 97 though I went off to college only to return home the very first weekend, thats when my father told me he was quitting farming. Took a few years to "forgive" him for that. Years after that as I start farming now on my own I realise it was the best overall for me to go off, get the so called eduaction (more like a ticket punch on the road of life these days - it's expected everywhere else). So - I would agree - do not give him the option of going directly into the farm. Get some outside expericance (read perspective). It is invaluable latter in life. Look also as it being a insurance policy. If I would have picked up where Dad left off, I would be working a part time / full time job making alot less $$ then I am now, and be locked in to a situation that was impossible to dig out of. Now, I have a good primary job which allows me flexability to leave to farm in the spring and fall, and invest the farm back into it'self to grow to a point where I can make a reasonable transition to farming full time if I keep the same course / track.

The outside experiance can be ag / farm related or not. Principles of dealing with other people / employees / public / vendors etc are all valuable. Gives a person a chance to settle down as well. Provides steady income starting out to maybe purchase a house / pay off some debt. If nothing else, I'd suggest he works at a AG buisness for a few years - be short on help now, the knowlege he would gain in running other equipment / agronomy or other specialitys would pay off for the farm more then the short term value of his labor during that time.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it, and from the viewpoint of someone who was in similar shoes as your son is now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)