AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bringing you son into the farm operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bushton4
Posted 12/27/2010 21:43 (#1510213 - in reply to #1510089)
Subject: Re: bringing you son into the farm operation?

i would push him very hard to go to a vo tech or vo ag 2 yr college at least. Get a skill or trade that he can bring back to the farm. He can still utilize his equipment and farm, but get an education while he is still fresh out of high school. To me it really doesnt matter, welding, mechanics, wood working etc, whatever, it gives a kid a larger scope of the world we all live in. Plus you can allows a young person to grow on their own for a while, which is badly needed by everyone.
My personal opinion would be to stay away from the farm for a mininmum of 3 yrs working for someone else so the the move back to farm is one of choice and not one of obligation. Whether the obligation is stated or unstated, I myself as child of a farmers have some sense of obligation back to my parents.
I got a bachelors degree and worked away from the farm for over 10 yrs before I came back into the operation. There is not a day goes by that I dont use the knowledge gained away from the farm to work towards bettering the economics of our family farm. I was amazed at what I saw when I came home, it was like the blinders had been taken off. Lots of things in the community that I was unaware of while I lived there were crystal clear when I came home. Some of that was good some of that was bad, but at least I could see things differently.
I would really lean on him about at least some more education. Good quality mechanics and welders are pretty much gonna be worth their weight in gold in the next 10 yrs. Those seem to be jobs that few people want to learn and it becomes simple supply and demand after that.
Hope that helps
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)