AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to get a college degree in?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Land_Surfer
Posted 1/31/2010 18:48 (#1051199 - in reply to #1050988)
Subject: Re: What to get a college degree in?

Firstly, always consider what interests you the most, and if that is the direction you go, make the best out of it you possibly can. That said, make sure that what interests you the most isn't just a hobby. Many consider their hobby to be a stepping stone towards their profession and ultimately get burned out. I know many who went to college to do what they liked doing just to find out that there wasn't much of a demand for what they majored in. I would always consider a trade first. Theory (Business, Education, Psych, etc.) is fine if you don't mind working the "paper mill." Trades are often always in demand. I would suggest an Associates degree in Mechanical or Electrical engineering and if you want to go further, your AS degree will make you a shoe in for either a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (for design), Engineering Technology (for application, testing, etc...more of a hands-on field) or Ag Systems Technology. As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I like the field, both of them have an ag related twin (i.e., Ag Engineering and Ag Engineering Technology), but I guarantee you that the Mechanical Eng. folks will always get chosen over the Ag Eng. folks, even though their degrees are identical. The name (Ag) is perceived to be too focused, even for some ag related firms. Also, any engine (diesel or gas) related technology field will get you in to a progressive ag or truck dealership as a tech.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)