AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backflowing Tile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/5/2024 11:35 (#10694881 - in reply to #10691590)
Subject: RE: Backflowing Tile

southern MN
Without being there and seeing more data, we are guessing and can be wrong.

It appears water is flowing from upstream of you faster than it can flow away downstream. So the tile main is undersized. It might always have been undersized. Or what they installed new is even more undersized than what it used to be, and/or is flatter than it used to be and water moves more slowly than it used to. Any which way, more water is trying to enter the tile above you, than what can leave below you. By definition, the tile main is undersized.

To fix that you need to ruffle enough feathers to get those that did the work to put in a bigger main. Permits or not, it isn’t right. This will cost people money, and upset everyone. Including you. If push comes to shove, most areas you would have a pretty good case to make this happen. It might take years and lots of lawyers fees, but this would be one legal solution. I’m guessing this is not your way of doing things, but just putting it out there, I think you probably have this option.

Another fix is to put in your own separate drain pipe from the low spot on your property to the ditch/ creek. It would probably have to parallel the existing new pipe.if it is dedicated to your yard, it likely will take the water away from your yard as fast as it is accumulating there. I would be careful about others with similar problems wanting to hook on to your new tile. It will create the same problems over again….. tile needs to be sized right to drain everything coming its way. Below ground water that seems to the tile, and over land water that runs to the low spots and drains in. It would be expensive but it would take care of the issue period. You might only need a 4 inch, a 5 inch is better, and a 6 inch doesn’t cost that much more……

The flapper valves you asked about and several show can help. Might work. Water still saturates ground and still seeps to low ground through the ground, and those big flappers aren’t perfect seals, and so on and so forth. It’s not a perfect solution, but it might help and is worth looking at. Obviously a much cheaper solution.

I just read you talked about pumping the water to somewhere? I don’t quite know where you are pumping it to, but pumps and electricity are expensive. It can work, but over 20 years you might be surprised how much that actually cost you, and when the pump fails or isn’t set up in time you get flooded anyhow, and so on. If you have natural gravity drainage available it’s a one time big cost and then it just works for the next rest of your life……

And 100 different options…… just thinking out loud. :)

In the 1950s dad wanted to tile, the neighbors weren’t interested. So dad put in an 8 inch tile. 2 years later the neighbors so how much good it did, and begged to add on. Good neighbors, so dad agreed. Which then flooded our field again, as there was too icy water for an 8 inch tile line. So in the 1960s dad put in a 10 inch tile line to just outer low spot. In the 1970s both dad and the neighbors added on more tile to both lines. And again our bigger 10 acre field got flooded, the water came pushing down that old 8 inch line and sat in our field, it couldn’t get away fast enough in our flatter area.

In the 2000s I put in a 15 inch tile, and it went down to a 12 inch all the way to the neighbor.

Things are pretty good now. We have a short 10 inch tile, a long 8 inch tile, and a longer 15-12 inch tile all parallel within 100 feet of each other.

It took a few decades to realize close to 300 acres of land is draining from 3 bowl shaped areas through these tiles, and it takes that big of a tile setup to make it happen.

There aren’t any shortcuts.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)