AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backflowing Tile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cluelessone
Posted 4/3/2024 05:31 (#10691601 - in reply to #10690874)
Subject: RE: Backflowing Tile

Flyindownabackroad - 4/2/2024 14:14

I know right where you are with that second picture you posted. I think the guy who lives right east of you has bought hay from us in the past. He seems ok. And that house next to the creek just sold recently. I live about 5 or 6 miles northeast of you. I used to rent the farm on the northwest corner of Rathje and County Line. I know that area has a lot of drainage problems. We put some dye in a tile inlet in the field I used to farm and found out that the tile stays on the north side of County Line and empties into the creek just north of the bridge on County Line.

I have no idea about anything on the Kankakee County side but it's good you're close to the creek if you plan on doing any tile work. I saw you had some drainage work done in your yard recently. At least you have a short distance to investigate/repair. It's nice that you even know where the tile lines are. That's half the battle of fixing problems.

According to the Kankakee GIS your yard is only 2 feet higher than the land along the creek where the new tile runs. After all the rain the past couple days, could the level of the creek just be higher than the tile in your yard and be causing it to backflow? It seems like that area wasn't the best place to build houses.

Hello neighbor! Yes, Kevin is a super nice guy. He does Civil War reenactments with his horses - I can't wait to go see one this summer! My two horses will be coming home when I finish my fencing and small barn addition. I'm wrapping up my 10x40 loft now, and we're rewiring the barn.

The drainage we had done was just to get the gutter and the sump pump discharge away from the house. No actual drainage-drainage. The original sump pump discharge was... interesting. The former owners ran pipe 150' to above where the blue tile goes... but they ran it above ground, right in the center of the back yard.

It's possible, but the creek level doesn't look high enough to backflow like that. It backflowed during the rain/snow/deep freeze event a few months ago, too.

Honestly the water on the property is not too bad, just a couple areas in the south corners of the back yard that the dogs are getting muddy in, 1-3" of standing water - I'll elevate the ground a titch and plant some flowers and be done with it. I'll also be putting in limestone for a dry lot area for my horses here in a month or so. It's just this backflowing tile that is aggravating - I don't mind holding some water, but I'm not interested in being a free retention pond. :)

Stop on by anytime, we're new to the area.

Edited by cluelessone 4/3/2024 05:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)