AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad bull math on Working Ranch Radio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

t rock
Posted 3/7/2024 15:46 (#10655925 - in reply to #10655243)
Subject: RE: Bad bull math on Working Ranch Radio

Tablerock Ranch eastern Wa
Don't disagree with your premise, Interesting story for you of my "expensive bull" perceived screw job, some will remember ten or so years ago I stepped up and bought me dream bull. He had passed my buying test... walk the pens pick out the best three phenotypically with the sale book in my back pocket, then go back and see if any matched my EPD dreams stats, BINGO my first pheno type bull matched my first book epd pick. The seller had invested well in me the night before plying me with food and drink, so I felt I would bring a wringer home if I could. My bull was not the first one offered so when he came up prices had come down some, I spent 10K for him then, so by todays prices he would have been a chunk more. Sent the Bull to get collected in Montana and got him back for breeding season, He was a big swinging D for a two year-old by then and went to work.... within weeks he started having feet problems and was getting doctored too often. He went through the chute so much in 6 months he got MEAN real mean! I got back from vacation and my son was describing the wreck he had became, I was so pissed at the situation... I said I was going into the pen to get him up and watch him move, my son was adamant about the mistake it would be for even a young man at that point... this is a guy that semen checks 30 bulls a year, I asked if he had is AR in his pickup and he said "your kidding right Dad" you paid 10 k for that Bull... minutes later I was walking out of that pen with the rifle and a great sense of satisfaction... STORY takes a turn, we are still using that Bull with a few hundred straws left and I have never made more money off any genetics in my life !!! his calves are still standouts and are never challenged in the feedlot, his yearling score was off the charts and he lived up to it with his progeny, Heck kept many of his females and the are great cows, little bigger then some might like but the milk scores are low enough that they can preform on dirt clods and grass hoppers. If a guy ever spends big money on a bull consider getting him collected to hedge your bet, had this guy been developed right and not "feedlot finished" he might would enjoyed the cows a little longer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)