AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Re: Low cost producer tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

drk
Posted 1/16/2024 21:47 (#10578488 - in reply to #10577059)
Subject: Re: Low cost producer tips

IA
I'm by far no expert, cow calf here and recently started finishing my own calves. What I've learned in my short career is the longer you can graze, be it pasture, cover crops or crop stubble, saves a ton of money in feed, but what guys don't figure on is how much less manure you have to haul, which also saves time and money. And I cut my hay use in half when I got away from feeding in hay rings. A cheap chuckwagon and a custom hay grinder saves a lot of money in the long run, and a feedwagon with a scale is even better. Another thing, sometimes it's cheaper to hire things out. To all the guys that are going to say no it's cheaper to do it yourself, that's not always the case. I can hire my chopping done for 70 cows way cheaper then owning any equipment, and he leaves when he's done and I don't have to maintain any of it. Same with grinding hay, I couldn't even make the down payment on a grinder with what I've spent paying a custom guy to do it. I'm sure I'm wrong but just what I've experienced.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)