AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Re: Low cost producer tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 1/16/2024 12:41 (#10577722 - in reply to #10577257)
Subject: Re: Low cost producer tips

western iowa,by Denison
northerngrazer - 1/16/2024 08:53

Good idea. What ideas first come to mind are:

What's good for nature is usually good for the pocketbook
- Learn to grow more grass->feed less stored hay (this is over 1000/week savings for me)
- Cycle nutrients from feeding and bedding back on the land-->reduce/eliminate fertilizer dependence
- Graze for the species you want to thrive-->reduce/eliminate spray use

The other primary area I see big savings in is equipment and facilities
- There are plenty of very reliable 40+ year-old tractors out there that can help put you well below the "average" feeding and feedmaking costs
- A handling system needs to be safe but it doesn't need to be new or expensive

The other area I often see problems is in "cost-saving" ideas that steamroll into major expenses.

For example:
- Land rent is too high so I'm going to grow corn instead of hay
- Can't get a custom harvester when I need them so I'm going to go in on one with some friends
- Need to buy a second tractor, mixer wagon, and bunks to feed (here in the north both tractors are in sheds or plugged in every day)
- Want to mix in other feedstuffs but I don't want them getting spoiled so I need to put up sheds for feed storage

Every area is different but I think these ideas tend to apply generally. Just my $0.02
we built commodity sheds to store feed-payed them off in 1 fill from being able to take 100's of ton of off spec material,the quickest return on a dollar is the commodity sheds-we are at 11 bays and will add more-buying 500 ton saved me $50,000 this fall on soyhull pellets,last year i saved $50,000 on dry distillers,we run back up tractors,there a lot cheaper then new,and also xtra feed wagons in storage,feeding 4 -8hours a day with 1 feedwagon doesnt mean you can substitue nothing

Edited by garvo 1/16/2024 12:47

(001 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 001 (full).JPG (132KB - 35 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)