AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Closed Cell Spray Foam Insulation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kggonzo
Posted 2/26/2009 22:12 (#624401 - in reply to #624226)
Subject: Re: Closed Cell Spray Foam Insulation

Northeast Nebraska and Candelaria Philippines
Depending on the foam manufacturer 2 lb closed cell will be between r-6 and r-7. You are correct, if you cover it with metal, you do not need to paint it. Loran, the elestermric acrylic is $11.00 per gallon, so i wouldn't call it high priced. It's just that a regular airless sprayer won't spray it. You can buy it at most lumberyards it's sold as a roof coating. You may may be having good luck because it's not in direct sunlight.... However, i stick to my guns that it should be painted. Also, MOST paints do not block UV rays.

I also do Cellulose, just so everyone knows i'm not completely biased on the spray foam. Here are some thoughts. If i have a customer that needs to save a little money i will recommend spray foam on the ceiling and cellulose in the walls. Actually, I still recommend we take the foam and put a 1/2 inch on the walls and then fill them with cellulose. That way they are still sealed up for air. The reason I want foam on the ceiling is because of moisture problems. Metal roofs can sweat, fasteners can leak. It is not good to get Cellulose wet. Also make sure you go with go quality Cellulose. The good stuff uses 100% Borate. The cheaper stuff uses ammonium sulfate. Ammonium sulfate will cause the metal to rust, borate will not. The cost difference will only be $100 total, it's just that some manufactures get cheap.

If you have any other questions or criticism, fire away.

Edited by kggonzo 2/26/2009 22:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)