AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts on 3rd year corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 10/10/2007 11:06 (#217259 - in reply to #217190)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on 3rd year corn

Macon, IL
I did a side by side this year-I am no 99% no-till. I figure I lost about 15bu/acre on CC vs BC. I did some tillage on a couple areas that had some washing, and end rows-couldn't see enough of a difference on the yield montitor or maps to even pick those areas out for 2nd year corn-but too small of an area to be a real test.

Next year I have a 25 acre test that will be 3rd year no-till corn. I am going to strip till part of it in fall and part in spring, and work a strip all the way through the field so I can have all 4 approaches side by side. That ground has been BT both years and will be next year, I am amazed right now how far much the 2 year old stalks are broken down-but we did spray some 28% on this spring. I am going to be planting right on top of them next year as I just split the rows this 2nd year.

Have a guy about 25 miles west of us that has a field on no-till CCCCCCCCC for 15 years. It is very produtive, as much as anything in our area-and looking at his results is what is making me give it a try.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)