AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn head size on Downed Corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 8/21/2007 22:31 (#191117 - in reply to #190979)
Subject: RE: Corn head size on Downed Corn?

I agree the first time I had the whole setup going it was just so much to watch. Rolls and chains going, cones going, beater paddles going , corn being stood up and flopped around. It's a lot to take in and watch while trying to keep  close to staying on the right rows.  

It's a horrible experience I wish nobody had to ever go through.Hopefully you get a chance to get it before the ground gets muddy or soft then it gets really bad as the stalks pull out of the ground and everything goes through. Stalks, mud, root balls and all. Then the down corn "gift" keeps on giving as the wear on elevator & feeder house chains, cylinder bars etc is rapidly accelerated due to the abrasive dirt going through as well. Unloading wagons and trucks is interesting as well since either the dirt or mud (and you will have one or the other) really makes things not flow like they should.

I took a movie of my experience in 2000 and have a short clip  of that posted here.  http://imageevent.com/vprb/farmmpgs

My main reason for doing this was that so it might help others see what the cones were able to do. When I bought mine there was no video of one in action  no local experiences just a simple brochure that showed what it looked like on the head. I was unsure of how it would work out and thought I would try and document it somehow so that maybe others could see how they worked.

Best of luck to everyone that has to face this problem.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)