AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter fertilizer placement questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 8/20/2007 22:52 (#190541 - in reply to #190507)
Subject: Re: Starter fertilizer placement questions.

Well, the easiest to set up for on short notice would be liquid, and it's probably a little easier to handle if you already have the equipment to nurse your sprayer.

If you are doing 15" rows, you might look into a CaseIH 5400 soybean special with the planter units. It gives you the drill feed, some great row units for depth control, a heavy frame, and lots of space to mount attachments. It's also a great no-till opener that will generally work without any additional attachments, and any attachment that will fit the CaseIH planter units will fit these row units. That might open up your options on fertilizer placement a little. There is a guy that makes an attachment that is just a different closing disc for this planter unit, that places the liquid fertilizer about 2x2. If you aren't putting on very much, that just might be just the ticket. I'll have to rack my brain a little to come up with the company. They also make some notched closing wheels and a couple other add ons.

The drill I've shown pictures of is a 5400 conventional drill. On our planter, we use Kinze HD no till openers for dry fertilizer placement. They are far and away the favorite opener I've seen, and I've converted several guys over to them. I had some yetter 2995's and they just plain sucked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)