AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter fertilizer placement questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 8/20/2007 16:26 (#190268)
Subject: Starter fertilizer placement questions.

Hi. I have a couple questions about starter fertilizer placement in a no-till situation. I'll be planting perennial grass seed, however I'd think that the same ideals would apply generally in most crops would they not? Liquid fertilizer is what I'd like to use.

If I have moist soil to plant into, and irrigation to use should I need it, would a disk setup or shank/knife setup be better? I'll say the fertilizer will be put at about 1.5" to 2" deep. Or, I guess I should ask, how far below the seed should the starter mix be?

If I can put the fertilizer down with the same machine as the seed, should I place the fertilizer directly below the seed, or off to the side a bit?

I aplogize if these questions seem too basic, but no-till is so new to me. Usually our soils fertility is high enough we just never gave much thought to a starter mix other than in a carbon banded fall planting. But then, the fertilizer is above the seed and really is not placed well at all. Broadcast has been our method of application in the past, and still will be once the crop is established, but for the first several weeks a small band of fertilizer that the plant can access quickly should be far more economical and I'd sure think would give the plants a more even growth. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)