AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter fertilizer placement questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 8/20/2007 21:05 (#190408 - in reply to #190390)
Subject: Working on it.

We'll likely never be full on no-till. Simply cause our rotations are different and we need to plow occasionally for other reasons. But we'd like to start using some no-till in our operation as soon as possible to get started learning. Several reasons, but one is with the nursery and berries, the weather window available is forcing us to manage labor and equipment time differently than we used to. We're still doing the math. No-till is'nt as cheap as some like to believe, at least not in our area. But I cant be delaying prime nursery digging weather to be busting clods. We'll see.

Biggest thing around here right now is selling the no-till to hard core conventional growers. So far very little no-till has been done properly. This in turn leads to the coffee shop chatter about no-till being not for this area etc. I'm asking some questions up front in hopes that I can make a better effort to succeed at no-till and see what happens.

Another reason, and it is certainly an arguable one, is the amount of housing lines we farm around. The dust and noise from conventional till is somewhat a strain on the neighbors. I think the no-till will gain us big points in that respect as well.

But rest assured, we are keeping our plow, and it will be used.:-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)