AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving time? Thinking of Changeing Mine. Thoughts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

TIZHOT
Posted 12/1/2011 09:30 (#2078502 - in reply to #2076304)
Subject: RE: Calving time? Thinking of Changeing Mine. Thoughts?

Southern Saskatchewan
Interesting. We were talking about the same issue this week. I would really like to push calving from Mar 1 to June 1. It was suggested to me by a neighbor that does the same. We run 250 cows in a mixed operation with 4000 ac farmland. Hired help is tight and the springs have been really rushed to get the crop in. Just doesn't seem to be enough time to even farm with the springs we have been handed these past few years. Very wet! My concerns are I know there is no time to properly check cows, tag calves and farm at the sametime. Yes less problems but more work load (I think). Weaned calves off cows and took to market last week. Good ww and selling now hits the hot fall run for price. Weaning later misses that hot spot and would put us selling say Feb. We don't background any other than small calves and replacements. The idea would open up a whole new ball of wax and just don't know like you if that is the right thing. This is how we have done it forever and feel it is the best solution. Although we don't farm like we did 20 years ago. I feel like the farming industry adapts to change alot easier than the cattle industry. The feb market is pretty decent usually though. Just think not one frozen ear! That sounds like a dream. There is always one in the bunch.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)