AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shortage of water for ag in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 3/23/2024 10:22 (#10676473 - in reply to #10666833)
Subject: RE: Shortage of water for ag in Iowa

Alton, Ia
Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 3/16/2024 04:39

Who controls these public water suppliers in rural settings? Is it county board responsibility? A co-op type body? Or....? Again, this is totally foreign to us in NE IL.

How far do they pump water?

Are there monthly water meter readings? Meter readings done automatically? Or, read by a human?

Just curious.

In Iowa they are setup as self governing utilities, board of directors, etc. I'm assuming, but don't really know if they fall under Public Utility Commission rules and regs. The water is tested daily I believe and they are under EPA regs, so many households have it due to our high nitrate levels in groundwater. You pay a small hookup fee, basically the cost of installing a meter, minimum monthly is $42.17 currently, compared to drilling and maintaining a well, cheap if usage is low. When I looked into it several years ago for a hog barn site, they would have run the mile of pipe for free, but then I would be responsible for the meter pit and piping into the barn. Almost all of NW IA is covered, or can be covered by a rw district, here the driving factor is livestock, not residential developments. I'm on Southern Sioux Rural Water, started after dry years in the 70's, 1977. Just 15 miles NE of me is Hospers, home of RWS1, ie Rural Water System # 1 in the state of Iowa, started 1969.

We used to read meters and self report monthly, they have gone to radio meters now.

Southern Sioux pumps water 35 miles or so, maybe more. Here is a link about RW in Iowa, it's a little off topic, but has some data on systems for you. https://www.iaenvironment.org/webres/File/Rural%20Water%20Systems%20...

Edited by Oliver1 3/23/2024 10:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)