AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Digester that was rejected in wisconsin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MaineFarmer
Posted 3/3/2024 06:10 (#10649076 - in reply to #10649013)
Subject: RE: Digester that was rejected in wisconsin

coast of Maine
I visited a dairy (midwest) that was having issues with manure smells ,poop on roads,from encroaching neighborhood.There was much negative about this operation.The 30 something aged daughter came up with a plan to make things more positive.Once a year they had an open farm day,,free food and snacks,coffe etc all day.Presentations on how and why they farmed,pet the cows etc,all like a fair for free.They experienced a huge growth in local support.No more manure odor complaints and waving neighbors as they passed.They do this every year still.
I thought it was super.Sarted our own "neighbor night" and it was very successful.We made the free meal exceptional,had two bands and a small dance floor,tents,seats,straw bales to sit on if wanted.The event became crazy attended.2,500 free chicken dinners the year before covid hit.Covid closed it all down,,we will once again start it back next year.The cost was about 25,000$ the last year doing it.The positive attitudes of all friends ,neighbors,free loaders as well was beyond cost by 100 X and it still persists today.
The cow farm I saw this first just did burgers /hot dogs /chips but they spent more time educating than I did.It works,start planning tomorrow for one this summer,,your farm will rise up in a positive way,,I am sure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)