AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is RTK really necessary?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

FRMLPLR
Posted 12/18/2006 20:33 (#75522 - in reply to #75500)
Subject: Re: Is RTK really necessary?

Don NMO - 12/18/2006 16:57

I think you are exaggerating a little. I can cut beans all day long with a 35' platform set on 34.5' swath and never ever nudge anything half mile rows and longer.Same with any tillage tool or planter.

The typical implement has way more side draft,or drift than any error you will see from a good dual frequency receiver.

I am not bashing RTK,just pointing out most operations have limiting factors that make RTK no more accurate than the lower priced systems which are way more convenient to operate for many locations.

So you are giving yourself 6" of error, thats playing it safe. Do this for me, skip every other pass with your combine or planter, whatever and try and come back tomorrow, next week, whenever and do the skipped passes without using the "shift" button. The question remains, what is that extra 6" of header capacity worth to you? Or the overlap on a disk or the wide/narrow guess rows? It much like taking the step from using a lightbar to Auto(fill in the blank) machine control. Lightbar will get you...but is close good enough?

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)