AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting trucking company questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 6/26/2022 14:27 (#9722150 - in reply to #9721927)
Subject: RE: Starting trucking company questions

Nw Iowa
All I can add is that some do well well, most do not. The ones that do well are well financed and know their costs. I know some other guys that run 1 truck and do it well. They are very savvy as far as also knowing their expenses and their area of expertise. We have semis for hauling grain and can’t imagine trying to make it work commercially with today’s fuel and maintenance costs. I know another guy in the area who does well hauling livestock, own some trucks and a lot of the trailers but guess who is on the road on holidays, Sundays and busy times of the farm time, he is. He also gets the calls when a truck gets stuck at 4 in the morning or truck slides off edge of road on a icy morning or gells up in the cold. Or a driver is late to a hog site. He has some very good long term drivers but still has turnover.
I agree with others, have a accountant that works with a lot of truckers and ask him to do some cash flows on what you are thinking. Spend a couple thousand there first, will know if idea viable, what you have to charge to put money in the bank at end of month and what other truckers have for real expenses. Their are people that know how to drive a truck and people that know how to run a business, normally not same set of skills.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)