AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting trucking company questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

MN Dave 2
Posted 6/26/2022 10:42 (#9721850 - in reply to #9721629)
Subject: RE: Starting trucking company questions

After 31 years of driving truck part time in the early couple of years to buying our own tractor/hopper (we farm also) , to having our own authority for about 25 years, last Wednesday I turned my commercial plates in and bought farm plates for my semi. While we were getting a fuel surcharge that mostly covered the $5+ fuel prices, the repairs and tires were killers. There are so many more layers of BS to the trucking game that you aren't considering. Depending on what state you operate out of, you might need to carry work men's comp ins on the drivers. To think that you will be able to juggle all the balls in the air and do a good job at both farming and running a trucking company is naive.

Over the years I have missed MANY farm seminars, meetings, field days etc because I felt I had to keep the truck on the road. I'll never know how many good ideas/tips/information that I could have implemented on our farm that would have made me much more than the couple hundred of $$$s that I might have cleared that day trucking.

BTW, 2 days AFTER we made the appointment with a local DMV office to turn my commercial plates in, we received notice from the DOT that we are going to be IFTA auditited for the first quarter of 2020. Now we get to go back and figure out how many miles and how much fuel in which state we bought. They can go back 4.5 years. YYYYYIIIIIPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)