AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The dreaded triple Nickel.......... 555 Cummins.......Experience from owners please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Doug W
Posted 4/27/2009 19:52 (#694962 - in reply to #694773)
Subject: RE: The dreaded triple Nickel.......... 555 Cummins.......Experience from owners please.

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Wrote this after you said you had your mind made up....but...

We have one in an FW 20 - naturally aspirated. Bottom end was done in the tractor at about 5000 Hrs - we've but about 1000 on it.

Another poster mentioned ontifreeze in oil - this is an annual occurance if ours sits out in the mild Saskatchewan winters - no permanent damage (as long as you drain before you start!)- it was explained to me that the liners shrink a bit in the cold differential temp & the wet liner seal seeps a bit. In the worst case we've drained up to 4 litres of A/F out - changed the oil & we're away. If the tractor sits in a warm shop there is no problem...

Over work/lugging is the death of these engines as its been explained to me. Buddy of mine bought a Rogator (3 wheeled sprayer?) with one - has one season on it - seems fine...

I believe major motor parts are available from either Cummins or jobbers - 6400 hrs - bottom end would be my main concern... I would think that the load on a Rogator isn't as severe as a tractor in tillage applications...

We've since found older, better tillage tractors (old Steigers with 3306 Cats) so the FW 20 doesn't see the field anymore - When it was our main tractor we were keeping an eye out for either an 8.3L or a 903 for the tractor....

FWIW - Good luck either way

Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)