AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The dreaded triple Nickel.......... 555 Cummins.......Experience from owners please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

barney1
Posted 4/27/2009 16:57 (#694788 - in reply to #694773)
Subject: RE: The dreaded triple Nickel.......... 555 Cummins.......Experience from owners please.

Central Ohio
We had a Versatile 555 that we were told had low hours but once we got it we quickly realized that it had a lot more hours than we thought. We had problems with the transmission and rear end but never the motor. The water pump did need replaced which was pretty expensive but other than that we didn't have any problems with the motor. When we bought a bigger field cultivator we decided to overhaul the motor wince we were unsure of how many hours were truely on the tractor. The overhaul kit wasn't from cummins but if I remember correctly it wasn't that bad of a price. It came with sleeves, pistons and most of the gaskets. We did have to go to cummins to get the cam bushings since the kit we got was for a small cam and the versatile's had the big cam. I have heard many horror stories about the 555 but it always ran well for us. I know they use them in boats quite a bit. From what I have heard they were a nightmare in OTR trucks but in marine and agriculture uses they weren't that bad. When we overhauled our motor it was in pretty good shape inside and I really don't think it needed overhauled. When we overhauled it we also had the pump turned up from 200 hp to 240hp.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)