AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The dreaded triple Nickel.......... 555 Cummins.......Experience from owners please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 4/27/2009 18:29 (#694851 - in reply to #694833)
Subject: RE: The dreaded triple Nickel.......... 555 Cummins.......Experience from owners please.

Kansas
No, not locked in a purchase.

I'm looking at a terragator that has one in it. I was told at first and all day today inspecting it that was the 903 in it. After dinner and digging out the book to do some reading is when we found the manual in there for a 555. Ugh. Bout lost my chicken sandwhich right there as my gut started churning.

Ok.......So I am thinking on the way home, theres alot of these engines still out there. Somewhere I did read from a couple fellars that the trucks were always the worst applications of them. "maybe".... thier ok in ag apps?

I'm on the fence now. Gut says should probably run like hell but the rest of the machine and price is what I've been looking for. Of course, I grenade this machine on the first field and the sweetness of anything is going to turn to sour milk right now.

I've been googling to see what people been using to repower thier machines with when the 555 becomes a iron pile trophy. Not having alot of luck. Really, not even having alot of luck hearing much good about them.

Isnt that just about the way it goes? Think you find a peach and then one thing turns the whole deal into a lemon for you?

I'm still googling and reading. Hoping to hear more from others with personal experience and ownership.

You said brother ran the overhead? Did he make any comments about how easy or hard it was to set the bridge on those valves? Somewhere I read that is the most important and most common mistake that causes them to swallow valves.

This day did start out good.......
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)