AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Two initiations into the Combine Operator Club
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sdPete
Posted 10/9/2006 10:19 (#49885 - in reply to #49871)
Subject: RE: Two initiations into the Combine Operator Club

Beresford SD
Hats off to you, great feeling to get back in the seat and have it run. I did it to the 9550 on Friday, my son was riding with me, suggested using the reverser, I had to explain why that wouldn't work. It took us 3 hours, opening the concave did not help.

But the slug incident may have had an additional cause. After getting going, I found a heavy load of soybean seeds and pods on the walkers, looked at the concave and it was jammed with bean stalks. Stopped and cleaned the concave out, a long wand air gun was helpful. Resumed operation, concave filled up. I procured the tools and levelled the concave by the book. The left rear was off by about three turns of the draw bolt. There was no specification for front to rear comparative setting, I thought the clearance between a given rasp bar and the concave bar should be some amount less at the rear inspection hole than the front.

Took to the field, concave still wanting to jam. Reduced concave clearance by 35%, slowed cylinder speed 25%, had to drive slower, walker load reduced, less walker loss by monitor, seems to take quite a bit more power. Concave looked much better. Bean stems are about 75% dry, 10%green, the rest tough. Grain moisture 9.5% Rasp bars were supposed to have one season use when I bought machine a year ago, but that must have been a long season by the looks of them.

I am still wondering if the rear of the concave needs to be set a bit closer than what I have it.

Pete

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)