AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any long term no-tillers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jersey Jim
Posted 10/31/2008 07:40 (#494633 - in reply to #494387)
Subject: RE: Can ya help me out a little on this part?

Don, from what I have read over the years, the earthworm castings or "poop" are 7.0ph and the p and k is very available to the crop. I feel there is some truth in that statement based on what I have seen over the years with soil test results. I have also noticed that the better the soil type there are more earthworms.

It is amazing in the fall after soybean harvest to see how the leaves and small pieces of stem are pulled into the burrows. It does not take long for a lot of the finer residue to be consumed.

About 10-11 years while we still were milking, it rained about 1 inch during corn silage harvest. The custom harvester, NH 1880, wanted to chop the next day. The field was in good shape. Going back and forth thru the field with loaded wagons a lane was created. This was about 100 rods long. It was smooth and packed. I was debating on what to do for the nest crop Later on I drove this area hauling manure. It was very rough. The earthworms had openned the burrows creating small mounds. I left the area alone and notilled beans in the field. At harvest I could not tell the difference in yield.

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)