AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any long term no-tillers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JimmyR52
Posted 10/30/2008 07:30 (#493951 - in reply to #493778)
Subject: Re: any long term no-tillers?

Mooresville North Carolina
In the 80's the NCDA/USDA did a long term tillage study at the Reidsville NC research station. The results were presented at the one of the best attended extension meetings I've been to. They had well known No-tillers from all over the world. I'd tell you who they were but John Bradley was the only one I can remember how to spell his name, but they also was a Jim from the midwest and Carlos from Chile. Many farmers had already started to convert but that meeting in my opion, got No-Till started here. Now it is very, very rare to see corn, soybeans, or wheat ground worked. Yields are way up. State corn record was set in a no till field (308 bpa I believe), as well as the Soybean record (90+), I'm not sure about the state wheat record. The annual contest has been won many, many times in continous No-till. I know I couldn't survive if it were not for No-Till. I live in the middle of North Carolina. It works here. But, in the sandy lands of the coastal plains I think they struggle with it. I believe that the problem with us diehard No-Tillers is that just because it works on our farms, with our soils and our management everybody should be doing it. But for me,It works. Jimmy

Edited by JimmyR52 10/30/2008 20:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)