AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I swap a Chevy 454 for a 6.2 diesel?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Diesel95
Posted 3/27/2008 10:00 (#342978 - in reply to #342912)
Subject: Re: Can I swap a Chevy 454 for a 6.2 diesel?

I did it on a 1982 3/4 ton Chevy. The swap is easy enough - use a different torque converter, take the motor mounts off of the 6.2 and put on the 454, use the fuel pump wire for the ignition wire to the distributor, the only clearance issue I had was the fan. I used a flex fan to solve the issue but you could also buy the correct clutch fan to replace or a low profile water pump. You can still use the engine oil cooler if you want, but you will have to get a sandwich adapter that goes between the oil filter and block(any good auto parts store will know what you are talking about), and probably make a couple new lines, the exhaust will have to have new head pipes, but the rest of the exhaust will be fine. You do have to use the power steering pump off of the 6.2 as the braking system is a hydro-boost system and will have to have the belt pulley from the 454 put on the 6.2 power steering pump. Thats all I can think of for now- its been about 5 yrs since i did it. All worked well but the mileage ;)
I also put in mechanical temp, oil psi, and volt gauges instead of the original sensors

Edited by Diesel95 3/27/2008 10:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)