AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Long run" and the life of an operation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gromit
Posted 8/19/2007 23:54 (#189987 - in reply to #189949)
Subject: Re: "Long run" and the life of an operation

Lac qui Parle County Minnesota
Its a valid point but I have to ask: Do you mean perpetuity for your only your own immediate family or would it be as satisfying for someone else to continue it?
A person has to look at what the long term goals are to be. I grew up attending Farmers Union meetings and was indoctrinated in preserving the "family" farm. Those farmers were very passionate about keeping their operations for generations to come. Sadly, alot of those guys didn't have anyone to carry on. Funny how their mindset changed and almost all of them rented out to the "big" operators when it came down to simply money. I saw a lot of wasted opportunity for those guys to start out a young farmer, which would have kept their ideals and dreams alive.
You get to a cross roads where you will have to decide what's really important, busting your butt for something that maybe you want more than your children or maybe deciding to do the best you can, spend more time with family or things you enjoy until you retire. I think that it makes all the difference in the world on whether or not you have someone in the next generation who wants to continue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)