AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeding bred cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/1/2011 09:27 (#2078495 - in reply to #2078293)
Subject: RE: 70% of unborn calf

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Agreed. Several beginners mistakes compounded a few years ago.  i see no problem with gluten just watch and not overdo it with heifers.  

The above problem happened my 2nd season with cattle and first grazing corn. this was before I learned not to let retained females nor bulls graze 200  bu corn.   I now make a final decision on heifers earlier and make sure they are not bred if they are going to processor. When I put these bwf heifers on corn I had not preg checked and did not realize they had been bred as calves.

When discovered they had been bred (got real wide) I pulled them off of corn but it turned out to be too late. An expensive and unpleasant  beginners mistake on my part. Both calves died and one heifer was paralyzed and had to be shot. The other was sold for slaughter later in the summer.

I shared the above at the risk of being ridiculed by you more experienced folks but worth it to try to help someone else avoid going through the same miserable experience. 

I now preg check and retained heifers get a shot of lute at weaning. I want a herd of good fertile cows and bulls. Heifers possibly bred at 7 months is a side effect.

As mentioned above, any bred heifers and cows are kept at about a BCS 5-6 on mostly good hay and mineralyx. So far that helps avoid calving problems yet produces healthy cows that breed back and calves born with minimal assistance required.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 12/1/2011 10:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)