AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa fence laws
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Posted 5/13/2011 13:11 (#1772656 - in reply to #1772352)
Subject: RE: Iowa fence laws

west central Iowa
Itchy - 5/13/2011 09:09

How about the acreage owner neighbor that wants to run some exotic emus against your non existant fence growed up in poison ivy, scrub trees, and old line fence junk? He recently completed a $250k home and double bay shop on the property. He comes to you. a grain farmer, who never ran a livestock one, and says, he would like you to cut your brush and tree junk out and put in your half of a line fence. He is willing to put in his half with a chain saw and use some old junk materials he bought for little of nothing at a sale. Property line is 1/4 mile long.

I offered to use a dozer to completely clean both halves and hire a fence builder to build an entire new fence, splitting the cost of the fence and dozer work. Cost about $5000 for each of us for everything turn key. He said NO, too expensive, he would rather I chain saw and replace what was in my half, and he would do the same with his used materials. I said it was too ratty a place for a chain saw to ever clean a place enough to build a good tight fence. It needed dozing, clearing, then go back with new material that could be maintained by both of us and keep his emus out of my corn and soybeans.

So, What do you in this case? When you have an acerage owner who wants to run some exotic critters on his property, and wants you to fix your half of the line fence for him, but is unwilling to properly fix his half? I told him I'd go in for fixing is all with a dozer and new materials splitting the cost, or nothing, I'm not going to waste time working on junk with a chain saw in a grown up bramble patch with poison ivy and snakes. He said no, too expensive, and for now, he strung a single electric wire on his side of the overgrown fence line, across the entire property length to hold his critters in, and I hope like hell his power don't ever go out.
I think these acreage owners are something else to deal with.

I've sold two acreages and both agreements required the acreage buyer to install and maintain the fence around the acreage. You might want to see if this was the agreement when the acreage was origianlly sold. If not fix your half the way you want it and let him fix his half the way he wants it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)