AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa fence laws
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 5/12/2011 07:42 (#1770708 - in reply to #1770572)
Subject: RE: Iowa fence laws~ Kooiker

NE
You have never even heard of renting out corn stalk ground? You make that sound like some far fetched new concept, not sure where you're located but with land prices the way they are pasture ground has risen right with it forcing most cattleman to maximize the acres they have access to. Most cow/calf people are pretty innovative of how to stretch a dollar in being the most efficient in feeding their livestock, it's not a new technology to utilize cornstalks in the fall until snow gets too deep. I can think of several cow/calf owners around here that have a remote pasture away from their homestead that they rent cornstalks from their neighbors either adjacent or across the road. I'd say it's more likely to have a neighbor rent you cornstalks to graze versus selling you cornstalks to bale and take off the land. My whole point was if the livestock owner was required to pay for all the fencing how would you suggest he controls that nobody else ever gets to use it, now or in the future, current neighbor or the next owner, I can't see how you would ever enforce that, that is why I believe the law is the way it is. Simple, you pay 50% and neighbor pays 50% and each to maintain for life. Crap, this thread started by people contesting who owns which half, they have a 50/50 chance of being right, I can't imagine buying a farm 15 years from now and my grand daughter would like to keep a couple horses/cows there, only to find out NO Joe Bloe paid for that fence himself in 1982 it can't be used by this farm? Can't see that happening, sorry.
Your example of helping pay for hog equipment inside a building is lame, now if you want to discuss how you would contain them again if you were doing it the way our fore fathers did in open fields and pastures, would you build ALL the fences or share equally like they use to? A cow/calf operation versus a hog confinement operation is comparing apples to oranges. I'm a believer if you buy farm ground in the country you knowingly agree you will have neighbors and boundaries and respect that if they choose to have livestock you are responsible for half of your boundary fencing if and only if it becomes necessary.
Granted, with grain farming becoming more specialized and larger operations and as the livestock sector becomes smaller and smaller with less operations, (smallest cow herd in US since 1950's) this problem appears it will only get worse to work around. Hopefully neighbors can be humane to get along with.....ever notice how it seems you can get along with all the neighbors a mile away better than your next door neighbor? Why is that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)