AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building house or remodel questions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Posted 2/1/2011 15:44 (#1586013 - in reply to #1584744)
Subject: Re: Building house or remodel questions?

west central Iowa
We were faced with a similar situation about 7 years ago, but it was the house I grew up in so there were emotional ties to it. The house had a one story part built in the 1870s and a 2 story part built later. Dad put basement under 2/3 of it in the 1950s and he and I finished it and built on a garage on the early 80s. The old one story part was getting pretty sad by 7 years ago and we were living somewhere else so we ended tearing down that part and gutting the rest and remodeling. The basement was good so we left that. The one story part we tore down was between the garage and the two story part we wanted to save. I peeled back shingles and siding and cut the one story part loose from the other two with the chainsaw and a track hoe with a thumb removed it for $500. We built back one big room in the new part that is kitchen, dining and living areas approximately 26' x29'. 3 bedrooms and a big bathroom in the remodeled 2 story part. It turned out very well, a local carpenter did most of the work with some help from me. Very well insulated, new plumbing and wiring and it cost a little over $75,000.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)