AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eastern livestock question again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/23/2010 22:16 (#1450622 - in reply to #1450565)
Subject: eartag retention

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have one cow that lost an ear tag this year (standard type prior to going to RFID). She just lost it a couple weeks ago after I put hay out in a regular ring for the first time this year. This ring has "Z" shaped pipes to keep them from backing out with hay in their mouths. 

I found the lost tag in this feeder. I think this feeder design is the source of a couple lost tags in the past few years.

The only reason I mention this is that ear tags, like everything else, are not perfect. But if we look at the causes of tag loss we can gradually reduce problems.  I am going to keep this one ring as a backup from now on the cradles or this other style ring I have are not always rubbing on their ears....Buttons should stay in much better than tags from what I see.

But as I said, mine is just an experiment. Branding may be better but I just don't see branding becoming common with the number of Holstein bull calves and numerous small herds in Wisconsin at least.  A young neighbor couple grazes some Holsteins calves every summer for someone else...I have no idea how you would get them branded or if a brand means anything on a calf that may change hands three or four times.

A good RFID eartag on the other hand could be put in. I noticed that these Holstein calves had fly tags this summer. Could have had a button (with at least one of the owners' ID) put in at the same time.

fwiw.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/23/2010 22:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)