AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60" rows and ear corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Mark in NEMO
Posted 12/3/2023 14:46 (#10508282 - in reply to #10506251)
Subject: RE: 60" rows and ear corn

Northeast Missouri
Still working on what I want to interseed.

Buckwheat will be part of that, but won't be much there for forage in the fall (except maybe that the 1st crop reseeds itself).

Very light rate of tillage radish. Won't likely contribute to fall forage, but I want to see how it does if planted in late spring. Most likely will have some soil benefits but will bolt well before grazing time.

Cowpeas, definitely.

Triticale or rye. Won't not grow so well in a hot summer, but should still be there to make growth in the fall when weather cools down. Same is true of annual ryegrass, which I might throw in a little bit. I've heard that it will basically be dormant all summer, but come alive for fall growth.

Millet, maybe. Won't likely be great feed by fall due to the early planting date, but still may be decent feed for spring pairs (maybe with creep for the calves) or spring calvers after weaning. Needs to be dwarf for minimal interference with corn harvest. Some say it falls down pretty well after a frost--but that won't be early enough to benefit me, assuming I can get the corn off pretty early.

Sunnhemp? Nope. Planted some in May of this year as part of a mix. Maybe it was too dry here, so not a good year for a test, but it didn't grow that well for me (on soil with good pH and fertility). Also, the jury's out on the idea that it might get too tall and make more green stuff to run through the corn head. I still want to try some, somewhere (maybe not in 60-inch corn), for another attempt to see if it can do well here.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)